Assignment #3 – The Identity Shadow Box

Click here to see a video

Our class studied many types of identities including; Gender, Race , Ethnicity, Nationality, and Social class. We also learned that a dominant narrative is a story that people in a position of privilege tell about someone who is not. Along with that we learned that a counter narrative is a story or perspective that people who are marginalized tell about themselves. It is important to tell counter narratives about the dominant narratives people say about our identities because this is how you can defend your identity and respond  to what people say about it.

The artifacts on the outside of my shadow box are pictures that show dominant and counter narratives about my identity. One dominant narrative about my identity shown on the outside of my shadow box is that black people are homeless and do drugs. The counter narrative shown on the outside of my shadow box is that many black people are graduating from college. This is important that i had a counter narrative to to one of many dominant narratives about my identity because this is how i can fight back against those false stories.